Athletes 4 Cancer is looking for some awesome people to be involved in our organization on different levels in our programs, operations, and fundraising events. We are a small but growing non-profit with national awards and recognition for our young cancer survivorship program. You must smart, engaging, and pretty much awesome!
Are you awesome?
We believe in inspiring and empowering survivors to kick-start their lives after cancer through outdoor experiences and adventures, while forming healthy peer relationships along the way. We aim to provide an attainable platform for personal success, self-growth, and achievement through the support of a focused staff and fellow campers. The camps serve as a vehicle to channel strength, promote renewal, and fuel passion for a healthy and productive life ahead while inspiring others to do the same.
Camp Koru Lead Counselor (Paid, part-time seasonal) Location: Oregon, Hawaii
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with leadership experience at other outdoor organizations or in public service. Previous experience in facilitating group dynamics is desired, especially experience working with the age group of 18-35. The Camp Koru Lead Counselor will help support the growth and vision of the Camp Koru program.
What the Lead Counselor does:
Leads and facilitates groups of up to 16 young adults (with staff and volunteer support) at camp in activities, discussions, and interactions, while empowering them through adventures, decision-making, and relationship development.
Qualities we seek in our Lead Counselor:
- A great leader
- Compassion, patience and humility
- Ability to articulate
- Great character, empathy, energy and commitment
- Communication skills including active listening, thoughtful feedback, and selfless input.
- Passion, confidence and humor are also vital to the success of our staff.
- Physical and Emotional Stamina:
Applicants must be sufficiently fit to participate in all activities at Camp Koru and maintain energy, strength, emotional stability and focus to support and lead participants with sometimes substantial physical and emotional obstacles.
- Applicants must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree at minimum
- Current adult First Aid and CPR
- No therapeutic background is required, but preferred
- Experience working with young adults is preferred
- Knowledge of Google applications: Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs
- Relevant life and work experience are preferred
Program Coordinator (Paid, part-time) Location: Athletes 4 Cancer office in Hood River, Oregon
The Program Coordinator works with a small team at Athletes 4 Cancer to plan and execute each of our 5 Camp Koru retreats each year plus fundraising events. The Program Coordinator position is a dual role offering the unique opportunity to:
(a) Serve as a key support staff for Athletes 4 Cancer and Camp Koru operations and
(b) Work directly with our campers and camp program to help young survivors get their lives back after cancer.
Coordinating Program & Event Operations
The position involves considerable independent work as well as being an effective member of a team. Primary responsibilities are to process bills, be a key contact for camper and parent communications, healthcare provider communications, maintain participant files (digital), assist with participant information data and tracking, planning fundraising events and other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
This position also requires assistance with trip coordination, including but not limited to: Coordinating camp staffing and volunteers, outfitters, assisting counselors with packing and unpacking for trips, arranging for camp storage and restocking supplies as needed, organizing trip binder, travel itineraries, camp schedule, and other duties. The Program Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director and the Lead Counselor on program outreach and marketing. The Program Coordinator may serve as a substitute counselor at Camp Koru when needed.
Please refer to our website for a further understanding of our program and the people we serve:www.athletes4cancer.org
- * 4-year college degree
- * Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- * Independently identifies and implements solutions to operations challenges.
- * Experience in business or office setting.
- * Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- * Knowledge of Cloud-based applications and Google applications: Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs
- * Knowledge and understanding of social media applications, guidelines for business use and strategies: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Vimeo, WordPress
- * Ability to work within a budget and purchase supplies and services efficiently.
- * Patience, enthusiasm, proactive communication style, flexibility and energy are a must.
- * Knowledge & understanding of recreation and trip coordination
- * The ability to relate well to others and to work effectively with a variety of people.
- * Ability to provide appropriate structure, perspective and guidance in the process of program delivery.
- * An understanding and commitment to the goals and philosophy of Athletes 4 Cancer
- * Valid/clean driver’s license.
Fundraising Event Planner (Paid, Part-time seasonal) Location: Hood River or Portland, Oregon
This role requires an organized individual for 10-15 hours per week March 15 – August 15 for our annual fundraising event Kiteboarding 4 Cancer, which takes place July 11-13, 2014. Position could possibly turn into an ongoing role. Key areas of responsibility include:
- overseeing event planning during the 6-month fundraising season for Kiteboarding 4 Cancer
- managing athlete, sponsor and donor relations during this time
- supporting fundraising event efforts post-event including prize distribution, managing donor database, and other post-event communications
- experience in non-profit/fundraising desired
- experience in project management, preferably with events
- organization, attention to detail, discipline and follow-through
- energetic, self-directed and assertive, but also flexible and creative
- ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of Cloud-based applications and Google applications: Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs
- Knowledge and understanding of social media applications, guidelines for business use and strategies: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Vimeo, WordPress
- strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with all levels of staff and volunteers, both verbally and in writing
- ability to confidently represent Athletes 4 Cancer and our mission as an ambassador
To apply, please email your resume and why you are awesome for one of these positions to info (at) athletes4cancer.org.